Marc-Andre Seguin – All the Things You Are
Chord Melody, Soloing and Comping Guide on All the Things You Are
All The Things You Are
Lead Sheet, Chord Melody, Comping, Soloing … and more!
All the Things You Are is a true classic in the jazz standards repertoire. This video course covers everything you need to get ed or gain a fresh perspective on the tune: the lead sheet with accurate chords, a chord melody, a comping study and a single-note solo.
Get a complete arrangement for solo guitar for this tune! Every chord melody in our Standards series is written with interesting themes and vocabulary in mind. Learn the arrangement, then arrange your own chord melodies on different tunes using similar techniques!
The chord melody for this tune comes with both a rubato version and a version with a backing track. Marc explores hybrid-picking with both a plectrum and his fingers in this arrangement.
You’ll also get a comping (short for “accompaniment”) study based off the chord progression for this tune. Each comping study centers around a specific theme, technique, or piece of comping vocabulary. Explore every possibility, and then take them into your own playing on other tunes!
This comping study is densely packed with rich chord voicings, so you may not want to use them all at once when you’re actually comping for someone! Instead, you’ll be more inclined to seize on some of the comping vocabulary some of the time when comping for someone else – perhaps stretched over two or three choruses of their solo.
Want a real example of how to solo on this standard? We have a fully-transcribed single-note solo arrangement for each Standard tune centred on expanding upon a piece of jazz vocabulary or a transcription from a real jazz legend. Play the solo in full, then steal your favourite lines and assimilate them into your own improv vocabulary!
The solo for “All The Things You Are” is moderately-paced, and mainly focuses on smoothly leading guitar lines to land on key chord tones at the point of chord change – especially the chord 3rd!
What do I get with this course?
Our Standards courses come jam-packed with material designed to help you learn tunes and their intricacies. All of the above comes with:
- Soundslice integration for every video – this amazing tool allows you to hear the demonstration while reading along with synchronized sheet music…and you control the action! Speed it up, slow it down, or even loop sections of what you’re playing to make it even easier to learn!
- Complete video instructionfor each arrangement, and any relevant backing tracks;
- Fully fleshed-out sheet music with TABs for each arrangement, as well as a simple lead sheet for the song – just melody and chords!
- XML file copies for all sheet music, so that you can plug them directly into Finale or Sibelius and hear what you’re seeing;
- and Backing track MP3 files for relevant arrangements.
And remember: sheet music PDFs, XML files, and backing track audio files are downloadable for you to keep forever.
Whether you’ve been playing on All The Things You Are for a while and want to kick things into the next gear or if you’re just ing to learn it, this course is the perfect place to practice on this timeless classic.
Marc-Andre Seguin is the webmaster, mastermind and teacher on JazzGuitarLessons.net, the #1 online resource for learning how to play jazz guitar.
He draws from his experience both as a professional jazz guitarist and professional jazz teacher to help thousands of people from all around the world learn the craft of jazz guitar.
- Video SAMPLE – All The Things You Are (1:00)
- Introduction – How to Use This Course (2:19)
- All the Things You Are – Chord Melody Rubato – Introduction (0:59)
- All the Things You Are – Chord Melody Rubato
- All the Things You Are – Chord Melody w Backing – Introduction (0:20)
- All the Things You Are – Chord Melody w Backing
- All the Things You Are – Comping – Introduction (0:42)
- All the Things You Are – Comping
- All the Things You Are – Single-Note Solo – Introduction (0:27)
- All the Things You Are – Single-Note Solo
- All the Things You Are – Chord Melody – Rubato (no Soundslice) (1:19)
- All the Things You Are – Chord Melody – with Backing Track (no Soundslice) (1:21)
- All the Things You Are – Comping (no Soundslice) (1:21)
- All the Things You Are – Single-Note Solo (no Soundslice) (1:05)
- PDF: All The Things You Are – Lead Sheet
- PDF: All The Things You Are – Lead Sheet with TABS
- PDF: All The Things You Are – Chord Melody
- PDF: All The Things You Are – Comping Study
- PDF: All The Things You Are – Single Note Solo
- 104 bpm – Backing Track – All The Things You Are
- 112 bpm – Backing Track – All The Things You Are
- 126 bpm – Backing Track – All The Things You Are
- 138 bpm – Backing Track – All The Things You Are
- July 2015 – Webinar on “All the Things You Are”
- Join the Facebook Group!
- All the Things You Are – Chord Melody
- All the Things You Are – Comping Study
- All the Things You Are – Single-Note Study
- 104 bpm – Backing Track No Piano – All The Things You Are
- 112 bpm – Backing Track No Piano – All The Things You Are
- 126 bpm – Backing Track No Piano – All The Things You Are
- 138 bpm – Backing Track No Piano – All The Things You Are
- Sibelius Files – READ ME FIRST!
- Lead Sheet (.sib file)
- Lead Sheet with TABS (.sib file)
- Chord Melody (.sib file)
- Comping Study (.sib file)
- Single-Note Solo (.sib file)
- PDFs – ZIP FILE
- Backing Tracks – ZIP FILE
- Submit Feedback here! (0:49)
- Maximize Your Learning: The 5-Minute Tutorial (Using Soundslice) (6:17)
- Enjoyed this course?
- What’s Next on Your Journey?